Twin Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had a new porch built, and I have noticed that the twin socket within the porch area is connected to the cooker 16amp fuse in the electric box. I found this out when the cooker fuse tripped. The socket is wired on 2.5mm directly from the fuse to the socket. The other appliance on the fuse is the cooker.

Is this okay?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Sponsored Links
Well, several things not normal - from what you say.

Cookers usually have 32A MCB - miniature circuit breaker - (fuse are usually 15A or 30A) in which case it could be alright.

As the device has tripped, then it is not really alright.

Who fitted it? Get them back to connect it to the socket circuit

Hi EFLImpudence

Just checked, Cooker on 16A MCB. Upstairs Sockets MCB is 32A, Downstairs Sockets MCB is 32A

So, there is no issue with connecting the socket on the Downstairs Socket 32A directly to the socket in the wall?

Thanks again

Jim

Just checked, Cooker on 16A MCB. Upstairs Sockets MCB is 32A, Downstairs Sockets MCB is 32A
Ok. I suspect it is just an oven and the MCB was replaced with the 16A.

So, there is no issue with connecting the socket on the Downstairs Socket 32A directly to the socket in the wall?
No, that's fine.

It might be better to connect it to the upstairs one - less usage and will still work for tools if downstairs goes off.

Sponsored Links
Did the cooker MCB trip when something was plugged into the porch socket?

If so, was the cooker in use at the time?

Hi EFLImpudence

Oh, you said it was on a fuse!

Anyway it is not conventional to put your porch socket on the cooker circuit but there is no reg saying you cannot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back