Twisted pair speaker cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought some 42 strand speaker cable and I'm wondering about what benefit I would get if I split the conductors and twisted them. I've read this reduces interference/crosstalk problems. Is this true?

Also, would it benefit by doing a double run of twisted pairs to each channel.

The run is under the floor and about 6m long and I'd like to make the right decision before I screw the floor down.

Thanks.

UB

Sponsored Links
I doubt it would make any difference to the speaker side of your system, given it is also only a short setup. I take it the cables are going to be run in away from any mains cables etc.
If you are worried, try it and see how it works before screwing the floor down ;)

I've been a bit of a Hi-Fi geek for a number of years now, I even built my own Valve amplifier kit last year ( http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/worlddesignskel84valveampbuild/websize/SG1L0558.JPG ,

http://photos.imageevent.com/sidand...r/websize/System overview side Jan 2008 2.jpg ) .

Fancy Hi-Fi signal cables are very big business these days, you can pay thousands of ££ for a few meters of the top branded stuff. Personally i think a lot of the hype is complete rubbish.
One very well known cable manufacturer/online retailer was punished recently by the advertising standards authority for making claims about one of his expensive cable products that could not be backed up by hard scientific evidence. ( http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_44177.htm ).

My advice would be to leave your cables just as they are, It wont hurt if you do wish to twist them, but i doubt you will hear any noticable difference.

Probably more important to route them in such a way that they are clear from any mains cables and if they do have to cross mains cables try to do it so they cross at 90 deg to each other, this will stop any noise on the mains being induced into the speaker wire.[/url]

What about doing a double run, i.e. 2x42 strands /channel. Would this give any benefit?

I probably won't try twisting, just avoid mains cables as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
What about doing a double run, i.e. 2x42 strands /channel. Would this give any benefit?

I probably won't try twisting, just avoid mains cables as much as possible.

double runs of cable are your best bet, it gives you the ability to run speakers bi-amped if you want to or use both runs connected together as they are there anyway

I'm sorry, I should have said that this cable run is for rear surround/5.1/home cinema speakers. I've not bought a system yet but I'm putting the cables in ready. I've read that rear speaker cables are not so fussy as they only convey effect.

I have some good cable for the front/centre speakers, which will only be short run.

UB

Sounds like typical manufacturer hype loosely based on fact. Twisting the pairs will make little (if any) discernable difference on an unbalanced connection. It is, however, very useful on balanced interconnects where noise needs to be picked up equally on both conductors to be rejected properly at the other end.

Bi-wiring (or even bi-amping - that's different) is not usually used on rear surround speakers, unless you are going to invest in really full range speakers with bi-wiring terminals. But it does no harm to have the extra wires laid in, just in case.

What I'd definitely recommend though is putting a wire in for a centre rear channel (6.1?) just in case you upgrade to that format in future.

Also are you planning to use a subwoofer(s)...maybe you need to think about where that's going to go. You will then need to lay a screened audio cable for that. Trouble is you might have to experiment with the positioning and decide where its going to go before you lay the cable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back