Two cold radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

It seems cold radiators is a common problem on here.

My problem is that the pipes leading to two of my radiators is also cold. I have tried bleeding them, one of the downstairs ones came out with lots of black water.

Does this mean there is a blockage somewhere else in the system?
I have a combi upstairs (two story house). All the other radiators are burning hot, it's just the two downstairs ones I have a problem with.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Could be that the system needs balancing. Try turning most of the working radiators off and see if the cold ones warm up. Note that some systems need a bypass radiator to ensure the pump has a circuit (and avoid straining it), so if in doubt always leave at least one working radiator on.

If this has the desired effect, try adjusting the lock valve settings on all radiators. Generally the lock valves on the radiators nearest the boiler should be permanently turned further down than those further away. In the extreme case (my old house was an example) I've actually had all valves completely open and only the radiator nearest the boiler worked!

If you still can't get any heat from two radiators there's probably a blockage somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back