Two consumer units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rewiring my flat and have so far completed the circuits for the kitchen. (ring main, cooker and immersion) I have bought a new consumer unit but haven't connected them yet.

I've also just switched to a new electricity supplier who are going to change my meter and also move it a few feet into a cupboard. When they do this can I have both my old and new consumer units operating together untill I gradually phase out the old one?

If I can, is it safe to add new circuits to the new unit? I take it there must be a live cable going into it if it is connected.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your Electricity supplier when replacing and resiting your meter should fit a Douple Pole 100A switch and 'seal' the topside, but leave the bottom side accessible. This allows you (the consumer) the ability to isolate your Consumer unit to work on it safely.

The DP 100A switch has the connection capability to run 2-lots of mains cables so theoretically you could hook up both CU's but it is not the done thing. I imagine the Elect Supplier will only reconnect the existing one.

Thanks, I've booked a week off work so I can get all the wiring done before the meters are changed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back