Two fuseboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Team,

I'm about to upgrade my fuseboards to split load RCD jobs.

My house is quite 'long' and has a fuseboard at the front door supplying the front house sockets/lights and a fuseboard at the back of the house in the kitchen which supplies the rear ringmain and lights.
An electrical chap suggested rewiring and installing one large split load consumer unit at the front.
Couldn't I just install two new consumer units in these original locations?

Question 2, my new oven wants 30A, is 2.5mm FT&E OK for this?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Q1 - is there any particular reason that you want to keep 2 separate CUs, other than avoiding rewiring costs? How is the 2nd board fed - does it come off the one in the front of the house, or directly from the incoming supply? Has the "electrical chap" given you any reasons why you should get rid of the 2nd board?

Q2 - no, you'll need 4mm.

Gauge the cost of each option, and choose one (the cheapest)

I dont think there are any implications of either option (besides cost)...

Hopefully the two DB's are same phase...you might want to find out.......

Sponsored Links
Are these standard ways then? What about measuring between the live of each fusebox, if they are the same phase no volts, otherwise 415V, the otherway is see how many wires are coming into the house.

If you have two phase wires coming in, you can run 3-phase delta wired motors. Could be useful.

Er, Good Points,
I'll have a look tonight and get back to you.....

The 'electrical chap' (NICEIC accredited...ahem) suggested that it was just a more normal and sensible way of doing things.

Basically, Yes, i want to retain 2 CUs to avoid rewiring completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back