Two inline fans, one vent to outside...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two inline fans extracting from two bathrooms. They share a roof vent. I've put non returns into the pipe work between each fan and the Tee.... But, what's gonna happen if both fans run simultaneously??

Both fans will be on manual pull switches. Is there a way of wiring these to prevent both being able to run simultaneously?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've got two inline fans extracting from two bathrooms. They share a roof vent. I've put non returns into the pipe work between each fan and the Tee.... But, what's gonna happen if both fans run simultaneously??

Assuming they are a similar power, both non returns will open and both will share the roof vent. A Y will be better than a T.

If both are running they will both be less effective than with only one running, you can only get a certain volume of air through a 100mm vent hole (assuming the roof vent is a 100mm vent)! Also I would imagine the fan motors would be stressed more as they effectively would have a restriction in the outwards flow. If not possible to put another roof vent in, it might be a better option to use one fan with a Y piece for both bathrooms, so it would come on when either pull switch is used.

If not possible to put another roof vent in, it might be a better option to use one fan with a Y piece for both bathrooms, so it would come on when either pull switch is used.

That would cut the extraction by half, to each room, a poorer solution than the two fans, which will only conflict in being both on, sometimes.

Sponsored Links
That would cut the extraction by half, to each room, a poorer solution than the two fans, which will only conflict in being both on, sometimes.
Thats a fair point but I would imagine a powerful inline unit would be more than sufficient. The way I see it unless the two fans have a very similar length of ducting to the Y point, (assuming they have the same airflow l/s in the first place) one will overpower the other and cause problems. Even then both will struggle. Having the Y point right at the exterior vent would help with this, still a non ideal setup. Also I have seen the 'non return valves' mentioned, they really aren't airtight so you'd still get potentially unwanted air transfer between bathrooms. I realise neither is really an ideal solution but there's only so much you can do sometimes

Simple way to check airflow would be to hold a sheet of A4 paper over the input of each fan & see if there is a change in vacuum as each fan is switched on.

No need for an anemometer if a crude "is there blow-through from another fan" is all that is required; Run one fan and place a lit candle next to the other, blow out the candle and watch the smoke movement

Personally I don't think there will be an issue if the external vent cover isn't particularly restrictive. Don't worry about motors getting stressed if they're both running; it's less blowback than they'd experience on a windy day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back