two pump systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just spent a small fortune having two replacement pumps fitted to the central heating system (one above the boiler and one next to the hot water cylinder) and having the system pressure cleaned. Now we are back in the heating season we find that every time the heating fires up (not the hot water on its own) then the overflow from the feed & expansion tank gushes until a radiator is bled (which can take up to 10 minutes). Our latest plumber says this is an inherent fault in the system, drawing in air due to the negative presuure at the tank, and the only real solution is to reconfigure the pipework with a single pump. True or false? Is there any other way of improving the situation, by installing self bleeding valves say?

Sponsored Links
My view, for what it's worth is that if the system is configured in the same way it was before he pumps were replaced, and that it worked ok then, is that IT DOES NOT NEED THE PIPEWORK RE_CONFIGURING. It may not be ideal in various plumbers opinions, but if it worked then it should work now.

What are the pump speeds set to? They are usually 3 speed, and setting them to a lower speed may help. You MAY (and only "may") benefit from a non-return valve or two but I can't tell unless I see your system. Two pump systems are ok and it is not necessary to chuck one out and substitute a valve.

Self bleeding valves have their place but I think you have a more fundamental probem to sort first.

Can you somehow generate a sketch in jpg format of your system pipework and post it somewhere on this forum? (I haven't a clue how you would post it :confused: )

:D
Oilman thanks for your suggestion: resetting the circulating pump to 2 and comprehensively bleeding the rads seems to have done the trick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back