Two supplies to same light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two electrically operated garage doors each with its own internal light that are activated by built in timers. I want to take a feed off each light and feed it to another, dedicated, light socket further down the long workshop, which links to the house.

I was wondering whether I could interconnect the two garage door lights and take a single feed to a single workshop light - rather than having to run two separate cables to two separate workshop lights?

I realise that both garage door lights would then light up when only one of the doors was activated but would there be a problem if both doors were activated at the same time i.e. would the feed to the workshop light be doubled up?

Hope the above makes sense.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering whether I could interconnect the two garage door lights and take a single feed to a single workshop light - rather than having to run two separate cables to two separate workshop lights?

How big is this work shop, it makes more sense if you have a feed from each side of the garage to the workshop lights further down, it won't exactly take long to do two will it?

To chivers67

No, it's not a big job but I've got enough cable for one run and not enopugh for two so was hoping to do the job without having to buy more cable. Just a cheapskate really...

I guess that's why you've got a double garage/workshop and i haven't

:D

Sponsored Links
Are wanting these light s to activate when the doors are opened or open?
Or are you just after some functional lighting in the garage workshop, regardless of the doors?
Do you have any sockets in the workshop?
Have you considered taking a spur via a 3-5Amp fused connection unit from a suitable socket?

Yes, I want to have the lights operate when the doors open.

I'll just pay up and get some more cable.

I don't think the saving on a bit of cable will buy you a double garage Chivers67 - I just don't like spending money I don't have to. I think that's called financial prudence...

chivers67 said:
would there be a problem if both doors were activated at the same time i.e. would the feed to the workshop light be doubled up?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, couldn't resist that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

From a purely technical point of view there is no problem (unless you get your lives and neutrals mixed up :oops: :oops: :oops: ) but it's not what I would call good practice. You'll be creating a circuit that could confuse anybody who comes to work on it in the future. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Incidentally, I'm making the reasonable assumption that the two garage lights are already on the same circuit. If they're fed from different breakers or fuses (including FCUs) you really don't want to link them together. Think about it. You want to work on one garage light so you pull its fuse. Wouldn't you expect it to be safe now? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks to all contributors.

PrenticeBoyofDerry - you're right the workshop light will go out when the garage doors go out. The purpose of the workshop light is so that there is sufficient illumination walking from the car to the house - it's very dark. There are other workshop lights but not conveniently sited.

Have decided to pay up and get more cable and have separate spurs for each of the two garage door lights. Seems the cleanest option.

Regards

it makes more sense if you have a feed from each side of the garage to the workshop lights further down
Why does it?

What's the benefit?

If the left hand door opens then the left hand side lights up at the front and rear of the work shop and likewise the same if the right hand side. The benefit being only two lights come on not three (or four lights) unless they are needed and if they are all needed the workshop is illuminated better.

non?

Non.

He neither has, nor was proposing, 2 lights further down.

I want to take a feed off each light and feed it to another, dedicated, light socket further down the long workshop, which links to the house.

I realise that both garage door lights would then light up when only one of the doors was activated but would there be a problem if both doors were activated at the same time i.e. would the feed to the workshop light be doubled up?

chivers67 said:
would there be a problem if both doors were activated at the same time i.e. would the feed to the workshop light be doubled up?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, couldn't resist that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

From a purely technical point of view there is no problem (unless you get your lives and neutrals mixed up :oops: :oops: :oops: ) but it's not what I would call good practice. You'll be creating a circuit that could confuse anybody who comes to work on it in the future. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Incidentally, I'm making the reasonable assumption that the two garage lights are already on the same circuit. If they're fed from different breakers or fuses (including FCUs) you really don't want to link them together. Think about it. You want to work on one garage light so you pull its fuse. Wouldn't you expect it to be safe now? :?: :?: :?:
SC - I'd love to know what you think you're doing when you put so many smilies in - what, to your mind, is the point?

Non. He neither has, nor was proposing, 2 lights further down.
I think you are over-reacting, and not really reading the OP properly:

Although not 'proposing', the OP was clearly recognising the 2 lights + 2 cables option as being the 'obvious' ('default') situation, but was 'wondering whether' an alternative (that would require less cable) was possible.

Chivvers67 merely expressed a personal opinion that the 'default' option may actually 'make sense'.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back