Two thermostats on one circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a silly question, but is it possible to have two thermostats in diffferent places calling for heat connected to the same heating circuit?

My problem is that my Drayton Digistat 3 is on the landing outside the airing cupboard - this works fine for the 1st floor bedrooms, but on the 2nd floor there is no stat, and it always freezing.

What I want is to wire a Drayton RF stat in to the upstairs CH circuit, and either the 1st or 2nd floor stat to be able to call for heat, is this possible?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Hi, Yes its possible to do this.

If your Using a hard wired thermostat and a remote digistat youll need to figure out how to wire them together, as they may be different.

Where two stats the same could be bridged in a parrallell circuit so that either will activate the heating.

It is not possible to activate diffrent heating zones without 2 port valves, but the 2 stat set-up will work but the 1st floor will probably be toast before the 2nd is comfortable.

Sarah

Thanks for the info.

I have two, two port valves in place already, do you think it would make more sense simply to move the existing stat to the 2nd floor?

I take on board what you are saying about the temp on the 1st floor, but I really don't know what else I can do, last night my bedroom was 13 degrees whilst it was 21 degrees on the 2st floor landing - rediculous!

Sponsored Links
2 heating 2-port valves or 1 hot water valve and 1 heating valve?

BTW- TRV's on downstairs rads will prevent the rooms geeting to hot if you go for the single zone with 2 room stats configuration.

2 two port valves (ground floor zone, and 1st and 2nd floor zone) and a three port valve - HW ??

The problem with the TRV situation is that - strangely - the landing rad is acting as a pass through - it has two fixed open valves on it - are you getting the impresison this system wasn't carefully thought out !!!!!

well your in luck! just wire a thermostat to the upstairs zone valve

EDIT - just read your post again and realized that the one zone valve operates 2 floors - back to the drawing board :(

what is the 3 port valve feeding?

I probably didn't explain very well to start with! :oops:

The three way port is the by pass on the MegaFlo - I think!

If it helps, I have two Myson two ports - which are connected to the stats - I know this because I can hear them click over when the stats cut in and out, and there is a Honeywell valve, which I have never heard make a noise, but there is something that I have read in the Megaflo manual which states that there must be a by pass valve - so I assume that this is it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back