Two Way Dimmer Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have a double light switch with a strip of 4 x 50W halogen bulbs (switch 1) and 4 x 8W fluorescent "under cupboard" lights (switch 2).

The halogen bulbs are mega bright and I would like to fit a dimmer switch, I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I use a double dimmer switch, considering the halogens total 200W and the fluorescent lights are only 32W? Or should I split the double switch and fit 1 dimmer for the halogens and 1 switch for the flurorescents?

2. Presumably I require a 400W capable switch for the halogens?

I'm completely new to this, so is there anything else I should take into account with this set-up?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
SIMANC said:
Hi

I currently have a double light switch
Your subject says "Two Way" - do you mean two way or two gang? Two way is 2 switches on the same circuit, like most landing lights. Two gang is just a double switch.

with a strip of 4 x 50W halogen bulbs (switch 1) and 4 x 8W fluorescent "under cupboard" lights (switch 2).
Are the halogens mains or 12V? If 12V, is the transformer suitable for dimming?

The halogen bulbs are mega bright and I would like to fit a dimmer switch,
If you'll never want them at full brightness, why not just fit lower wattage bulbs? (Again, if 12V, check if there's a minimum loading for the transformer)

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I use a double dimmer switch, considering the halogens total 200W and the fluorescent lights are only 32W? Or should I split the double switch and fit 1 dimmer for the halogens and 1 switch for the flurorescents?
You can't put the fluorescents on a dimmer, so your only option is two separate switches, unless you can buy one which has a switch and a dimmer. You could assemble such a combination using a grid system, but I get the feeling this wouldn't be up your street....

2. Presumably I require a 400W capable switch for the halogens?
It depends - some are correctly rated for halogen loads, some need derating, you just have to check the detailed specs.

I'm completely new to this, so is there anything else I should take into account with this set-up?
1) If 12V, check that the transformer is OK with being dimmed
2) Make sure the dimmer you buy is the right sort for 12V transformers or mains halogens, as appropriate
3) Make sure the dimmer will handle the load.
4) Running halogen lamps at less than full brightness tends to shorten their lives.

:eek:

Thanks for your comments ban-all-sheds.

The switch is a two gang and the halogens are presumably 12V as they use a transformer.

I think I'll give the grid system a miss.

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back