Two-Way Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a two-way light switch in my hall-way. One switch turns on the downstairs hall-way and the other turns on the upstairs light. Also i have a one-way light switch upstairs which works in conjection with the two-way switch downstairs.

However, recently a painter took the two-way switch out and now the two-way switch for upstairs only works if the one-way switch is off upstairs or if the one-way switch upstairs is on upstairs then the two-switch for downstairs will not work (confusing i know). Please help! I'm guessing it is a problem with the wiring. Thanks

Sponsored Links
get the painter to pay for a qualified electrician to repair the damage that he has done.

I tried that but he refuses to sort it out giving false promises. Does anyone know how i can do it myself? Thanks

Sponsored Links
With-hold what you believe to be a fair sum from his fees to get the switch sorted out. Pay him the rest of the money. Easy.

Assuming he's gone, can you match up the wiring behind the switches with any of the standard configurations described in the refernce section. If so, tell us what you have, and we can probably give you an idea of what is wrong - it sounds like a couple of wires crossed, but we need the description of which wires go where behind each switch to say where.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back