Types of MCB ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a CU fitted with "Vinckier M6 Type 2" MCBs and I want to add a "Vinckier Type B" MCB to a spare way on the RCD side of the CU.
I don't know what the significance of the "Type 2" & "Type B" are.

Are these two:

a. the same ?
or
b. compatable ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The type 2 mcb's are equivilant to type c mcb's, these are used in general commersial/industrial installations they are designed not to trip out due to inrush currents/switching surges often caused by small motors & fluorescent lighting banks, the inrush currents would trip out a domestic rated mcb (type b)

The type b mcb is equivilant to a type 1 used in domestic & comercial installations with little or no switching surges

Hope that helps

The numbered and lettered breakers are not exactly equivalent. A type I is more sensitive than a type B. 'Fraid I dont remember the Type I II II IV tripping ranges offhand.

Sponsored Links
i seem to remember that a type 1 is very sensitive and a type 2 is roughly equivilant to a type B

Oscar_Whild said:
I have a CU fitted with "Vinckier M6 Type 2" MCBs and I want to add a "Vinckier Type B" MCB to a spare way on the RCD side of the CU.
I don't know what the significance of the "Type 2" & "Type B" are.

Are these two:

a. the same ?
or
b. compatable ?

Thanks in advance.

MCBS used to be type 2,3 & 4 they are now B,C,D the B type is the correct type to use. The difference is the inrush values, Type 4 or D would be used for motors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back