TYROLEAN NIGHTMARE...PLS HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am hoping you may be able to advise me on a problem I am having with my builder and a render finish.

To give you a background of the job in hand. I employed a builder to completely remove all the old render which encased our house. He did a super job, hacked everything off to bare bricks, made good and defective areas, then completely sand / cemented the walls, treated them, & then began to apply cullamix Tyrolean render finish. The tyrolean was applied over 3 walls , but around the window frames and the bottom of the wall, was more or less left bare, i guess to be finished off later.

Unfortunately due to his falling sick, a couple of months elapsed between the majority of the tyrolean being applied and that which was needed to finish the job. Not only this, but the texture of the finish is much thicker in some areas than others. Apparently a defective applicator gun was used on part of the wall and now it resembles lemon drizzle cake. Can this be gone over with a finer application to make the finish more uniform?

By nature i am reasonably easy going and not a nit-picker, but I am wondering how we can best achieve a satisfactory finish to the rendering, so that it all matches up.
I have a feeling you may say to get an A! finish that the whole thing ought to be redone from the start, but i really want to avoid this.

I am asking you what you feel ought to be done to best solve the situation faced.

With regards to the photos (see link:
//www.diynot.com/network/buttonbadge/albums/13154
showing large globular, cottage cheese type texture, which is inconsistent to the acceptable areas, what could be done to correct this to make it uniform. My builder suggests going over the areas concerned with a finer texture.....would you consider this a solution? I can supply more images which may better illustrate the "drizzle" effect should anyone be interested.

I really, really would apprciate any advice as to what methods ought to be considered and moreover avoided (preventing making matters worse) in rectifying this problem.

Sponsored Links
Hii there, Tyrolean is not the easiest of jobs, i can tell you that. the thickness of the mix needs to be just right for the type of job your doing and also the setting of the machine is crucial, it can be set from a fine sprinkle to a thick heavy sprinkle.

Problems do arise around recessed doors and window reveals its very hard to get a coat on those sections. the Tyrolean machine seems to hit the flat wall OK but only gets a thin, or even no coating at all on reveals.
This is were you need at least two extra men to hold a sheet to cover the flat wall so that no Tyrolean splashes on the wall until, the reveal is covered and then spray the wall and blend it in with the corner of the reveal.

Uneven thickness is caused by the operator not moving the machine around quick enough.

What to do next is rather hard to say having not having seen the job, the pictures you posted are not really detailed enough. One possibility is to get a machine and three guys two to hold the masking sheet and the other guy, if the finish is really bad all over the place, then it would need totally re doing.

The problem is that the guy you used was not a competent Tyrolean trained trades men, an apprentice trained plasterer would do the training as part of his apprenticeship and be competent to do the job.

I don't know drizzle cake looks like, but my guess is that he mixed the Tyrolean mix too wet.

If you have no coating on the bottom foot to 18 inch's or so, (which is normal) you could apply a thin coat of sandtex or similar material by trowel, in a contrasting colour. I don't know if i need to say this, but i would get your self an apprentice trained plasterer to finish the job.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back