U bend has been fitted outside (externally) for dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
After some advice. We've had a new kitchen fitted, including a new dishwasher. We're a bit concerned about the way the plumbing has been installed for the dishwasher.
Initially, the builder sent the dishwasher waste out, straight into our soil pipe. He hadn't fitted any trap/non return valve, so we asked him about this. He didn't seem to understand our concern, but it seemed common sense to us that there should be some sort of protection from the soil and soil fumes.
He's now put in a u (type) fitting externally. So the waste goes out, into a u bend, then into the soil.
It doesn't look pretty, but other than that, can anyone see any problems? One thing that has occurred to us is that we might get a problem with this u bend freezing?
We're amateur DIYers so any advice of how we can fix this would be great.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
white stack & black waste pipe gezzzz, why didn't he just fit a trap & standpipe inside ? I hope this isn't the standard of the rest of his work

Sponsored Links
hope you like hard labour washing dishes like i do :LOL:

in winter (hard freezing times) you may need to shorten the chain, buy smaller shoes in get fairy soft hand's because that waste is going nowere.

Yyyyyyeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaa

theloneranger.jpg

Thanks for your contributions, folks. So far the best suggestion seems to be the slap! I've never seen the like before, but is there any way to salvage it? We are a bit torn, cos we just want this guy out of our home, but this seems to be taking the mick. He's got a bit more work to finish, and we don't want to totally alienate him (yet..) so, are there any clear, unambiguous instructions we could give him so that he can rectify this? Or is it too late? Thanks again.

slipper its too late, if hes prepared to do something like that on show, what has he done out of sight?
just cut your losses and say byebye, owt else he does will just make you angry

You don't want horizontal - or fake traps - outside.

If he had done that inside, then it would still be daft, but at least there owuld be some logic to it.

The easiest solution (but nothte best) would be a sink trap with a spigot for the dishwasaher.

Ideally, - and what numb nuts has tried - is a separate wasteline and trap forthe appliance(s). If space is at a premium, then you should use a HepvO trap and running adapter. It can be vertical or horizontal, and oin a dishwasher alone, I would even risk a 32mm trap and pipe to keep size to a minimum.

really though this is first week plumbing.

When I started plumbing I sorted this part of the job out on week one by taking a merchant's catalogue into the bog and having a read of it with my Saturday morning - ahem..... Rocket science it certainly ain't!

Makes one wonder what else the builder has "Bodged up" that is out of sight.

It looks as though the flow is almost going uphill into the stack pipe as well

171000_170382_52937_77920736_thumb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back