U/Ground oil feed pipe - what protection

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple but perplexing question coming up.

I am having a new oil tank installed to replace the old steel rusted job. The new tank will be sited in a more accessible place, and thus requires a new underground feed pipe. The contractors have told me to dig the trench for the pipe, which I have nearly completed.

When the pipe is laid (presumably in plastic coated copper) I will be laying it on, and covering it with, 40mm sand to protect it before filling the trench with the excavated soil.

Does the sand have to be:

a) Ordinary building sand (seems rather acidic to me)
b) Dry sharp sand (too abrasive?)
c) Some other spec of sand (is there one?)

or

d) Doesn't matter either way.

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Are the installers Oftec 600A registered ??

Has an oil tank risk assessment form been completed ??

If not you will need to apply to building control !!

It is a good idea to sleeve the plastic coated copper in an additional sleeve!

A marker tape should be laid above the pipe to warn of its presence !!

The tank is being installed by a long-established Midlands fuel supplier, or lt least their contractor, who is (according to the website) OFTEC registered.

I haven't seen a risk assessment form, the site has been surveyed and the new tank position agreed. I assume that the contractors will work to the correct procedures.

Yes, I'm aware of the marker tape requirement.

Now sleeving the pipe raises other questions. I can see the value in sleeving providing protection. But isn't the oil pipe colour coded (green)? If I use a sleeve it will not be either the correct colour or the correct appearance to future diggers. I have read on this forum that MDPE water pipe is a good sleeve, but that's blue and obvously not an oil pipe. It would be very confusing to dig down past an oil warning tape to find a water pipe!

(The pipe will be around 75' so sleeving is not going to be easy, even if the installers let me faff around with it)

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
I had a small oil leak because the uncoated 10mm copper pipe was laid on sharpis cinders. I removed 99% of the cinders which was replaced with sharp sand. Builder replaced pipe with blue plasitic coated pipe and no further problem. That was 34 years ago.
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back