U trap on a bath How long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is running the waste from a bath in a Grade II listed cottage.

Can the U trap consist of a vertical descent to between the joists, then about 1.5 metres horizontal under the floor to the wall then a vertical ascent to be above the floor thus forming a U trap. At that point can be run along the wall to the far corner where it can descend again to run under the floor to the external hopper.

The Part H regs do not seem to give a maximum for the length of the U bend's horizontal section.

Rodding acess would be provided at the wall end.

The retention of the hopper which drains to a ground level gulley is a requirement of the conservation officer as is retention of the cast iron stack pipe that serves only the WC ( not 490 years old ) so cutting into the stack is not an option.

The bath's location is determined by the load bearing capacity of the 490 year old joists which seemed to be about to drop the previous bath into the dining room below.

Sponsored Links
That will provide the trap function but I will still have to have the " U " pipe layout to get the waste to the wall below the floor boards.

The HepvO will solve the trap under the wash basin so thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can't trap the pipe under the floor.
I would put a trap as such under floor boards.

What concerns me is the pipe going down from the bath to be under the floor boards and then one metre or so down stream coming back up to be above the floor boards to cross joists that cannot be cut or drilled. This makes a " U " shaped pipe route that is about a metre wide between the verticals. Very effective as a "u" trap but maybe banned by regulations but I can find nothing that does specifically limit the width of a U bend

Why can't you keep the pipe under the bath but above the floor the same as usual.

Wonder what my dad does in his listed building? Not sure what number it is, but there is a star in there somewhere ;).

Think he even has double glazing somewhere.... :eek:

What you're proposing will almost certainly block up fairly quickly. What kind of bath are you having? There are almost certainly more standard ways around your problem

Why can't you keep the pipe under the bath but above the floor the same as usual.
Because the bath outlet may have to be about a metre and a half from the wall in order to put the weight of the bath above the main beam that supports joists that were never intended to support a bath without excessive flexing.

I think pictures/drawings of your proposal would help enormously at this point....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back