How can I remove Bath / u-bend trap to clean it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to clean out the plug hole trap (if fitted) or u-bend in my bath.

I have attached 3 photos of my bath plug hole. If there is a removable trap fitted do I access it by unscrewing the top of the plug hole (see pic). Or do I have to remove the u-bend under the bath (see pic) although there is not much space to pull the u-bed piping downwards.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Mutley56
View media item 38660 View media item 38659 View media item 38658

Sponsored Links
I've looked at Screwfix website and seen shallow bath traps. The one under my bath looks similar, but the part that connects immediately below the bath itself is this a trap that can be accessed from the top of the plug hole? If so, is is possible to unscrew the pug hole part on the upside of the bath - I don't want to break a seal if it is not meant to be unscrewed.

Any useful advice will be gratefully received.

Mutley56

Unscrew both large nuts on the trap and pull to the side and upwards. Leave the plug assembly be. :D

To me, this looks like the sort that CAN'T be cleaned from above.

You need to remove the white plastic trap, which as you say, may be hard because there's not much space.

Leave the metal waste ("plughole") and overflow section attached to the bath, don't touch the hollow, hexagon-headed bolt.

C.

Sorry, my post crossed with Bahco's :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thank you Bahco and ChrisOxford,

If I have understood correctly, I should work from below the bath and not from on top. I should unscrew both large white plastic nuts one at either end of the shallow trap and pull the whole section down and sideward if the space allows. Clean it and then re-assemble.

Thanks.

Mutley56

Thank you Bahco and ChrisOxford,

If I have understood correctly, I should work from below the bath and not from on top. I should unscrew both large white plastic nuts one at either end of the shallow trap and pull the whole section down and sideward if the space allows. Clean it and then re-assemble.

Thanks.

Mutley56

Correct

Many thanks Charnwood for your advice. I haven't done the job yet, it's still on the list of things to do.

Regards.

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back