U Value Calculation - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Would be grateful for any feedback on the following...

I've been googling for what seems like for ever now and have come up with some u value calculations for the walls of our extension. I would like to forward this on to our BC officer. Do they look OK?

Do i need to worry about wall ties (if so how do i calculate?). Anything else I need to add?

--External pebbledash render 15mm (0.57w/mk), resistance = 0.015m/0.57 = .0263m2k/w
--Plastor Fibolite Blocks 100mm 7.3N/mm2 (0.28w/mk), resistance = 0.1m/.28 = .357m2k/w
--Dritherm (32) 100mm (0.032w/mk), resistance = 0.1m/0.032 = 3.125m2k/w
--Plastor Fibolite Blocks 100mm 7.3N/mm2 (0.28w/mk), resistance = 0.1m/.28 = .357m2k/w
--Plaster 13mm (0.57w/mk), resistance = 0.013m/0.57 = .0228m2k/w

--Total m2K/w = 0.0263 + 0.357 + 3.125 + 0.357 + 0.022 = 3.8881
--u value = 1/3.8881 = .257

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just phone your insulation supplier and tell them the construction and they'll tell you the U Value. That's easier than messing about. Expect someone who has some software will be along to do a check though. I haven't done a U Value calc for about 20 years!

Going on what the building control officer said to me. I told him we were using fibolite 7n - 100mm dritherm-7n fibolite. He was asking us to dry line to meet the required U value but I wanted to show we did'nt need to.

Sponsored Links
Ermm...dunno...never done it...

But...logically...mortar is going to have the same resistance per mm as render...so you need to work out the area of mortar joints per square metre...then subtract that from 1 square metre of wall to give your block area per square metre...add it all together and hey presto!!

Going to give you a very slightly worse answer than the one you've got I would think...

Do your calcs take into account the mortar joints? ;)

You're a cheeky monkey Ronny :LOL:

I've not done a U-value calc "long hand" since I left Uni - not quite 20 years. We used to have a Building Services Engineering module with a CIBSE bod and he used to make us do them over and over and over....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I find doing U value calculations a very enjoyable part of building design.

The thin bed morta system is used to overcome the morta bridging problem. As seen on Tommy Walsh's 60 day eco house build last Monday on Freeview Quest channel @ 6pm

Anything else I need to add?
Outside surface R-value = 0.04
Inside surface = 0.13

As said above, check with Plasmor that K-figure for Fibolite is for chosen mortar thickness. Get them to give installed R-value rather than material K-value. Their brochure gives typical U-values, which would be great if one of them matched your wall. Given that you are using 2 skins of Fibolite, they should provide a U-value for BC.

Edit: just checked R-value for 100mm DriTherm Cavity Slab 32 Ultimate is quoted at 3.10 The difference might be due to typical installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back