Ufh subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just exploring installing UFH in a suspended joist G/f.

The plan at this stage is to PIR insulate between joists, lay pipes, then screed over.

I am now unsure what to do next....

I would like a wood floor (real or fake!).

Does one put down the original T&G floorboards and sand/seal? Or do I need to put something that's better to conduct UFH (eg tiles or lvt)

If the latter, do the T&G stay there or do they just come up and replaced with Ply/tile board and add the flooring. My concern was if the TG didn't come up, there would be quite a few layers between the pipes and the floor.

I can't find any clear guidance on what subfloor should be.

Sponsored Links
The plan at this stage is to PIR insulate between joists, lay pipes, then screed over.
You wouldn't usually use a wet screed in that type of floating floor UFH implementation, rather what's called a biscuit mix, either that or use spreader plates. Then the floor covering can be laid directly down on top of that.

Floor gets lifted - lower support batons (and sometimes ply) nailed to the joists - PIR then laid onto that - then the UFH pipework clipped to that with a biscuit mix added as a thermal mass or pipe directly into metal spreader plates tacked to the joists. Then the floor covering.

Thanks. I did mean biscuit mix.

So you wouldn't put t&G back down, just lay the new flooring on top of joists and screed (with some ply or similar in-between?)

What if I just put t and G back down, and varnished? Does that work with UFH or is it too thick?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back