UK housing stock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was watching a tv prog the other night 'when buildings collapse' quite interesting. The prog focused on this tragic incident:

However, there was also a section of the prog given over to (global) concerns about our aging housing stock. A survey had been done of UK housing stock and quite a high % was deemed to be of poor/very poor and even dangerous structural condition. They focused in on Glasgow and the aging tenements, now well in excess of 100 years old. Many of them showing significant structural issues that will cost more to put right than owners can afford. The prog asserted there needs to be an accelerated conversation/debate about existing housing stock with a defined strategy as to how buildings that are near (or at) end of useful life will be repaired or demolished and replaced.

It got me thinking about the cookie-cutter houses that are thrown up these days, often with huge snagging lists from the outset. I think these are designed/built with a 50 year lifespan before major works might be required on them? Not that long in real terms.

Would be interested to know what others thoughts are on this whether referring to older or newer buildings.

Sponsored Links
Any given report on condition , structural integrity and cost of remedial , rebuild costs is pre - planned to suit the required outcome. For as long as home builders and contractors keep lining the pockets of local authorities , cheap junk will continue to be erected and they’ll continue to lie about remedial costs to get old buildings demolished.

Sponsored Links
surprized it didnt mention ronan poit as that was quite spectacular ??

Not even just old houses. I was surprised recently to see that some of the halls of residents I stayed in at uni were demolished - they were built in the 60s, and had serious concrete cancer. I think a ceiling fell in (I assume nobody was there at the time) and the whole thing had to come down.

A structural report said a one-metre wide section of spalled concrete fell from the ceiling in the 18-storey Block G, revealing reinforcement corrosion.

Loose concrete was also found in the bathroom ceilings on other floors.

surprized it didnt mention ronan poit as that was quite spectacular ??
It was! Ronan point and the red arrow shows our house.

F7C24BB8-48F4-4D35-B59B-C226497AE36E.jpeg

Very wise. Can't wait to hear your solution to the housing crisis with no, 'new builds'.
He didn't say don't build them.

I wouldn't touch anything built post 1960s.

Spent enough time in the industry to see appalling standards in modern house building.

Absolutely shocking.

Wouldn't buy anything other than a detached property, either. Seen enough ****ty situations where people living in terraces, semis or flats have a terrible time with a bad neighbour.

He didn't say don't build them.
I wouldn't touch anything built post 1960s.
Spent enough time in the industry to see appalling standards in modern house building.
Absolutely shocking.
Wouldn't buy anything other than a detached property, either. Seen enough ****ty situations where people living in terraces, semis or flats have a terrible time with a bad neighbour.
We have a massive new development going up near me, I think there are 2-3 different house developers building there including Persimmon. I once heard the quality of Persimmon homes in Scotland is slightly better than England due to different management, contractors etc but might be a load of bull.

That aside, I read an article the other day about owners on this (still far from completion) development already complaining. Long snagging lists not being attended to, more significant issues that go beyond snagging etc. Spokesperson saying 'staff and material shortages to blame.'

One thing in the article that interested me was a woman complaining because she 'could hear next doors telly.' I'm assuming she's in a semi or terraced. However even in older houses, if next door has their telly on it's not unusual to hear it if the volume's up. Part of me wondered if it's her first time living in a semi/terraced house.

I have an oft-told story about doing some installation work in the kitchen of a Victorian terrace.

I heard a yell from next door. The guy knocked on and I went over to find the wall between the properties was only one brick thick and I had broken through......

Sponsored Links
Back