Ultimate tool for removing nut on tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I spent the weekend fighting to undo the copper hex-nut to replace a washer on my mixer tap. The adjustable spanner and mole grips failed miserably (bad workman blames tools etc..).

While there are still enough corners left I was wondering what is the best tool for this job?

I was thinking that something which grips all 6 flats - and has a lever either side of the nut (so you can actually apply a rotational force rather than yanking the whole tap in one direction) would fit the bill. It would need to be a really nice tight fit as well to avoid rounding off all the corners.

Any suggestions very gratefully recieved..

James

Sponsored Links
How about one of these?

You can also get an adjustable spanner with a tightening lever (like a monkey wrench)

Just to clarify - it's not the back-nut I'm trying to undo it's the one on the spindle that sticks out from the body of the tap.

A box spanner seems the best choice as long as it's a really nice tight fit. That way I can put a rod (handle) all the way through and pull and push at the same time. Are any specific brands particularly good?

Sponsored Links
nope, its a tube of steel with a spanner on the end, theyll all do the job, and dont overtighten it!

pmx_super said:
A box spanner seems the best choice as long as it's a really nice tight fit. That way I can put a rod (handle) all the way through and pull and push at the same time. Are any specific brands particularly good?
Spend a bit more and get a drop-forged tool rather than a stamped tube steel one

Scrit

pmx_super said:
Just to clarify - it's not the back-nut I'm trying to undo it's the one on the spindle that sticks out from the body of the tap.

What about:

1. Buying a 12 point deep socket of the correct size

2. Putting it in a vice and cutting the drive end off so that it slips over your spindle, and

3. turning that thing with a pipe wrench. (or welding a larger nut onto the outside or top of it, and using a large adjustable wrench to turn that large nut)
(I once filed the end off a high quality 1/4 inch drive socket, and I was surprised how easily it filed down. I don't think you'd have any trouble cutting through a socket with a hack saw.)

Just a thought about this. Are you sure that the nut isn't slotted at the end to allow a screwdriver to be used? A lot of kitchen taps are.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back