Ultracom 30CXi - replace pump head or complete pump??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came home last night to find system off and pressure down to 0.3 bar (0.1 bar this morning). There is a drip from the pump and the pump had been noisy for some time. I note from the manual that it is possible to replace just the pump head or the complete pump. How do you tell which is the correct action to take please?

Sponsored Links
unlikely to be the pump body and you could just replace the head but its £264 retail for the head it does come with a new washer . it looks like a Wilo pump head so have a look at your one it should have numbers on it think the Wilo begin with CP then a number if it is just go to B&Q and get the same number complete pump and split it and use the head probably about £50 for the complete pump but the whole pump wont fit your boiler the body is different, when you have the pump head off give the body a good clean

Your pump will be noisy because dirt has worn out the pump bearings.

While changing the pump you drain out the system and refill with fresh water and ideally add a cleanser like X800 or have it power flushed.

Tony

unlikely to be the pump body and you could just replace the head but its £264 retail for the head it does come with a new washer . it looks like a Wilo pump head so have a look at your one it should have numbers on it think the Wilo begin with CP then a number if it is just go to B&Q and get the same number complete pump and split it and use the head probably about £50 for the complete pump but the whole pump wont fit your boiler the body is different, when you have the pump head off give the body a good clean

Thanks. I have now removed the head and can see that there would be no need to replace the whole pump. When I turn the impeller it is really rough, so that accounts for the noise.

I can't see any CP numbers on the pump but here is some of the identification: CDH Class F - TF95. 4514471. VHSL15/6 HE-2. 0020005804. I think the last number is the Glow Worm part number.

Do you think that this one will be available cheap at B&Q or anywhere else?

Sponsored Links
Well, I have learnt a lot in the last week! First of all thanks to ianmcd for the advice - it kept us warm! There were 2 Wilo pumps at B&Q: One B rated, about 50W and an A rated smart pump 15 - 45 W. The B rated pump head was the same physical size as my old pump, so I bought that one - mistake, when I split it, it was obvious that the design was completely different. Took it back and exchanged for the smart pump, which had a smaller outer diameter, however the fixing hole centres were the same. Split it and noticed that it had a smaller impeller, however I was able to fit it to the old pump body. It worked but not 100% correctly. The boiler was not able to modulate correctly and could not cope with the times of the day when we have only 4 rads on. So, instead of settling down to a steady output, it was hunting around the set-point, overshooting and shutting down, then firing again after the pump time-out period. The house was still warm but I presume at a cost, due to the boiler not operating in the most efficient way. Whilst taking a shower, the temperature would fluctuate. Managed to get hold of a second-hand original pump head off e-bay for £30. Just fitted and it's working fine. The official new replacement is a Grudfoss but you have to change the complete pump, as the head will not fit the old body - £119 + VAT from my local stockist but there were none in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back