Unable to remove bolt on mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My (mixer) tap in the kitchen has started to drip. I have purchased some new washers and hoped this would fix the problem.

I have removed the tap handles but I am unable to un do the bolt to get access.

Does anyone have any ideas as I simply cant get them to budge and I don't want to cause any further problems.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
A big spanner, and plenty of pressure, but you need to hold the body to stop it turning.

Thank you, I will try that tonight. Would it also be worth getting some WD40 to move it along?

No, wd40 won't do any good.

If you have a second pr of hands you could gentle tap the end of the spanner, whilst you hold the tap in place.

It unscrews anti-clockwise.

Sponsored Links
if you have one, a ring or box spanner, or a deep socket, will be less likely to slip and round off the brass nut.

An adjustable spanner is much more likely to cause damage.

turn off the water and take one or both the old ceramic cartridges to your plumbers merchant or DIY shed so you get the right sort. They are much much much more expensive than new tap washers :(

Buy some PTFE tape as well to wrap round the threads of the new ones. If the thread inside the tap body is scaly or corroded, clean it with wire wool or a green scourer and kitchen spray before fitting the new cartridges.

Thank you.

I have managed to get the cartridge out so will see how much two new ones cost. If not a new tap maybe in order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back