Unbelievable ...... But I'll ask anyways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use my old CH pump in a out door water feature ?

Might be a groovy recycling idea :p

Sponsored Links
As in central heating for the fish :cool: :cool:

At least it will stop the Mrs Carping :LOL: :oops: :LOL:

I was just wondering if it may be a wee bit too powerful ?

Mind you I could have a Trevi fountain looky likey in my garden :D

ohhyeah.jpg

some people do its a known fact in the koi keeping world.

how ever it needs to be protected from the elements, its not submersible and as the impellar is not plastic it may corrode quicker.
koi people take the impellar housing off and fit a purpose made plastic housing

Sponsored Links
Umm was thinking of putting it in a wall mounted enclosure wiv loads O fuzzy foam around it :)

it wont do any harm to try it, what is it going to pump water through? (picture?) and where is the picture of you posted?

oh and dont forget it will have to be mounted lower than the feature, it wont be a sealed system, so it cant suck the water

It may not be that well known in the heating trade but a central heating pump is not a pump :eek: and will not pump anything :eek:

They are circulators and reply on the speed of the PLASTIC (breezer) impellor to shift the water from one place to another

The picture of the fountain is in Germany Some place ..... I got the foto off of Google fer a laugh ....

I dunno what I want my feature to look like really ..... Its going to be one of those make it up as ya go along designs :cool:

Just wondered if it was feasible :eek:

They are pumps but are called circulators becuse they circulate the water.

The reason they are almost "anywhere" on the system is becuse they are in a sealed system, so move the water one way (up) and by the laws of physics more water comes in to replace the water which is no longer there.

In a water feature (for example) it is not a sealed system, so for the pump to pump water to the top of the feature the pump relies on gravity to supply it with water.

so to make a water feature with a CH pump / circulator it must be lower than the highest point of the feture, preferably lower than the bottom of the fetaure's sump.

Since "pond pumps" are designed to sit in the water this fact is overlooked (the fact that most pumps can not suck the water)

Some pumps can suck the water these are called self priming but they are not cheap

simple water feature lay out is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back