Under 25 car insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under new legislation from Euro Court of Justice the insurance co. will not be able to charge men under 25 more than women although the statistics say that the men have more expensive claims on their insurance.
This is madness because it is likely that we who drive carefully will have to pick up the bill for the irresponsible drivers. :(

Its now time to get rid of the Euro legislation because they are getting too stupid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

Sponsored Links
I think I'll launch my own legal appeal in this country then based on the fact that this new ruling is fundamentally ageist! If the rule only applies to men under the age of 25 then that is by definition, 'Age Discrimination' which is against the law in this country.

It's no difference if male under 25 drive sensibly who don't break the law and yet have to pay high premium because he's a male instead of a female.

It's no difference if male under 25 drive sensibly who don't break the law and yet have to pay high premium because he's a male instead of a female.

If a male breaks the law in this case it doesn't count. Its about the crashes they have and the insurance paying out for repairs and compensation.

Sponsored Links
The biggest inequality is state pensions.

Women live longer, on average pay less in NI, and get a state pension five years earlier than men. How does that work?

I think they are still addressing the situation, but how was it allowed to go on for so many years?

As for car insurance for under 25s, simple. Just raise the womens' premiums to the same extortionate levels as the males under 25. If they can't afford it, then there will be less women drivers on the road. More room for my white van! :cool:

You can bet that the insurance companies will raise the premiums for women to the same as that paid by us blokes now.
There was a pair of twins on BBC this morning. one male and the other female. They both passed their driving tests within weeks of each other. To insure a Vauxhall Corsa, the woman was quoted £1400. To insure the same car, the young chap was quoted £3400.
After Dec 2012 (when the equality will be implemented, you can bet Sheilas Wheels will be quoting the woman the same price as her twin brother.

Either way, the insurance companies will profit handsomely from this case.

Anyway, statistically, women are less likely to have an accident, simply because they don't drive as many miles as men in a year. ;) ;)

supposedly all premiums will go up to cover the shortfall, mens too.

As for car insurance for under 25s, simple. Just raise the womens' premiums to the same extortionate levels as the males under 25. If they can't afford it, then there will be less women drivers on the road. More room for my white van! icon_cool.gif
Lets hope that if you need an ambulance or paramedic it's a woman.:cool:

Listened to this topic being discussed on radio 4 on the way to work, an industry "expert" said that the insurance industry was preparing an appeal but from his tone and what he was saying it seemed unlikely they would win any such appeal and were making preperations to impliment the changes as soon as possible.
He went on to say that the general consensus at the moment was that women would pay on average 50% more and men 10% less in the age group concerned :eek: , I had to stop the van to find the salt cellar :rolleyes:
As CCC has pointed out this ruling will affect pensions. Men on average don't live as long as women and as such their pension payments are higher than womens, this legislation will force a level playing field and men's pensions are likely to go down slightly :(

hi, im 17 and just starting to drive, my cheapest quote so far was 4000 a year, its great to hear that someone is trying to help us,
but ive heard that instead of lowering male insurance, they are just rasing girls :)

The answer is simple really, dont drive until you are 25, the cost of car, tax, mot, insurance, servicing, repairs and fuel can buy alot of bus miles / taxi fairs / train and plane miles!

Surely the Insurance companies of all concerns (!) will have statistical data to prove their pricing policies ?
Maybe they just need to adjust their advertising.

-0-

I don't know what similarities they find between male under 25 and women,It sounds like madness to me. Presumably, Insurers have been keeping female premiums low because the risk of a claim is lower than it is for men, and not because they feel like being nicer to women. I'm looking forward to my premium going down now as the premiums charged for each gender meet somewhere in the middle of where they are now.

Sponsored Links
Back