under floor heating connection to kitchen circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install under-floor heating in a kitchen. It is rated 800W (~3A).

I can get at a single socket on the main kitchen ring, but the position of it (and the requirement to only run embedded conduit vertically) means I'll have some conduit on the surface. Not a big deal because it is behind the fridge, but I'd prefer to conceal better. :confused:

I can also get at the electric cooker supply, which is a radial circuit with a double socket at the end. The grill and hob are plugged in with fused plugs (I believe this is standard these days). This can all happen behind units with only the control thermostat appearing on the surface. :LOL:

A couple of questions:

Can I run a fused spur from this cooker socket to power the heater ?
What cable type would I use between the cooker socket and the fused connector unit ?

any help would be great[/u]

Sponsored Links
You would be in the rules to run a short (<2m )length of cable rated at the load current, if mechanical damage was unlikely so anything >1.5mm. Otherwise if longer than 'short' the cable has to be rated at the supply current so 10mm or whatever the coooker supply is..
To spur from a cooker circuit is most irregular, and would have to be made very clear to any future electrician.
It would really be better fed from the socket by the fridge. Could you make use of neat trunking - there is no placement restriction if the conduit or trunking can be seen -the 'lines of least surprise' apply only to buried cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back