under floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating an upstairs room and thinking about installing electric type under floor heating. Is it expensive to run? How easy to install? What floor coverings can you put over it? - would laminate be ok or will the heat damage the floor? recommended brands/suppliers?

Sponsored Links
Electric heating is about 4 times more expensive to run than gasheating.
Underfloor also has long delays so only useful for all day heating

I have never seen anything except ceramic tiles and would think that laminate may not be suitable.

If you must have UFH then I hope that you understand its characteristics!

Tony

I've got electric underfloor heating in a couple of areas of the house and in both cases it works well. I have slate floors in my entrance hall and downstairs bathroom, the underfloor heating in these areas stays on most of the year as it takes ages to warm through otherwise, it also keeps the rooms nice and toasty warm and prevents condensation in the shower area.

I also have it in my conservatory under laminate flooring, I just use this as and when I need on cold mornings to take the chill off it, it warms up in 15-20mins and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Both are probably expensive to run but my whole house is unfortunatley.

I think the conservatory is 150watts/m2 (manufactured by Allbright) and the under slate flooring is 180watts/m2 (can't remember what make) and both were very easy to install. :)

Sponsored Links
Most UFH is only 40-60w/m².

You seem to be susyaining a very expensive heating system!

Whats your current annual electricity bill?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back