Under floor venting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Property 80 years old or so.
Rennovating and noticed wood worm in all lower floor timbers.
Plan to treat timbers but need to sort ventilation.

Sub floor is dirt and can flood when it rains. A common problem in the area!
However, external ground level above DPM of internal leaf and so plan to excavate in time to see if helps.

Trying sub floor venting to try to help with damp smell and minimise woodworm. Only have two vents on house perimeter currently to front which are just into the cavity. Have extension with solid concrete floor to rear though it only runs part the length of the back wall so might be able to vent there. May not be able to ventilate right gable end (concrete car port with down slope could maybe vent (wall solid and about 1 foot depth) here but would have to have sleeve coming in to room and then down through board and so could box it all in I suppose.

Seems like I need an S sleeve. Questions are:

Can you just vent an air brick to the cavity (no insulation in cavity) and just take a brick from the internal leaf in the region of the airbrick? And thereby negate the need for a sleeve.

If not, then when fitting a sleeve do you remove enough bricks internally to sort assemby (so afew courses)?

Again if I do need to sleeve how many vents are needed for the cavity alone? (in addition to the subfloor space ones).

Sorry if its not clear or too simple.

Adam

Sponsored Links
For proper ventilation it's best to put liners across the cavity. Really air bricks should be on opposite walls to get the air flow.
Cavity walls don't need to be ventilated, as that was an old fashioned mistake.
Dropping the outside ground level will help a lot. Ideally you want it lower than the oversite level, which is better with a layer of concrete at least 6 inches below the bottom of the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back