under stairs cloakroom and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
wonder if anyone can advise.
we are going to get an under stairs cloakroom done. we live in an old victorian house which was built 1908.
we have had builders round for quotes and they say it can be done as the space is there but none have mentioned having an extractor fan.
I am wondering if this is needed as we do not have any windows at all.
the wall that the toilet will sit against leads into our basement so i'm guessing one could be fitted to this and the smells released into the basement or outside.
Want to make sure the job is done properly so any advise would be greatly received. ( we are also having a macerator fitted )

Sponsored Links
hello :D

1908 would make your house Edwardian....not Victorian....

no idea if you need an extractor fan tho...

If you are having a macerator fitted, you definitely need a fan for when it blocks up - and it will. Nasty, smelly job unblocking macerators. I believe a fan will be needed for building regs anyway.

Avoid macerators at all costs if you can.

P.S. This topic may be best in the plumbing or building department. Although no worries - it's about a macerator - plenty of sh*t is discussed in General Discussions. ;)

Sponsored Links
I know macerators aren't the best but it is the only option! ( maybe we'll try to avoid the number two's in this toilet as much as we can!! )
I thought we would have needed a fan anyway as there are no open windows
and i wanted to make sure in case the builder tried to skirt round it! Thanks

A fan is a 'MUST' if there is no other means of ventilation in the room.
As this is against the wall leading to the cellar it should be possible to duct it through the cellar at ceiling height before venting it to the outside.
On no account vent it 'into' the cellar! Smells have a tendency to rise! As well as linger!
Listen to what the builders have to say and if they don't mention ventilation just drop it into the conversation.
"Well, with it being a closed room with no natural ventilation what do you propose as the best method?"

If the builders don't mention it - drop the builder - they are incompetent.

Sponsored Links
Back