Under Stairs storage concealed doors - hinges to clear skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title I've got a project to upgrade our under stairs storage area into something a bit more useful.

The layout is currently a bit like this:
View media item 100645
Plan is to replace hatch with 2 concealed doors or one door and a pull out drawer/storage area as below:
View media item 100646
The trouble I'm having is in knowing what type of hinge to use that will allow the skirting to remain in place on the door i.e. the door will need to move in such a way that the pivot action keeps the skirting from fouling on itself or jamming the door. I guess I could use a pivot hinge set in from the edge of the door but wondered if anyone knew of any surface mount cantilever(?) hinges that would do the job?

Sponsored Links
The trouble I'm having is in knowing what type of hinge to use that will allow the skirting to remain in place on the door i.e. the door will need to move in such a way that the pivot action keeps the skirting from fouling on itself or jamming the door.
The only sort of hinge I can think of would be a rising butt hinge, but then the knuckles would be visible and the skirting on the opening panel will inevitable bind on the rear corner. No such thing as a cantilever rising hinge AFAIK. You also need to consider whether or not the floor is flat - this is a constant bugbear when installing fire doors in both new and old buildings as we now have to work to a 3mm gap beneath when the door is closes whilst most floors vary wildly from flat. You may want to consider (and look-up) gib doors, a traditional method of concealing doors or of having the opening/pull-out sections above the skirting as in Foxhole's examples

I wonder if a Parliament hinge would do

but they stick out even more. Might be OK if in a corner or by a pillar.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if a Parliament hinge would do

but they stick out even more. Might be OK if in a corner or by a pillar.
They work, but they are normally used on double door sets where the doors are made under width and rebated closer strips are adjusted and added to the leading edges of the door to get a good fit. If installed on a single door they will need a sort of angled rebate on the leading edge of the door to get a tight closure because they tend to "push-out" a bit as the door opens

as its occasional use why not leave the skirting complete and have a step level with the skirting top or a lip and make the door above
other options clip on skirting
and remember you can only hinge on the long side

You can hinge on the short side if the door isn't too heavy. I've just done it today using a hardboard faced door; you can cut then to shape, rip out the wooden supports on the unused section, plane off the old hardboard, and then trim and glue it back in place.

Leaving the skirting in place, and setting the doors above is a good idea, but clip off skirting will get to be a PITA.

You can hinge on the short side if the door isn't too heavy.
and there is nothing above the door that will foul it as it swings open
in otherwords the door must be fully outside the face off the string as it opens as any lip will catch around the doors arc

You also need to consider whether or not the floor is flat
Cheers - the floor is actually very flat but you reminded me that we're going to be getting some form of LVT put down in the future so I'd need to account for that..I'd forgotten! :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back