Under units lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will this work?

New under cabinet lights. Cable from lights into double switch. One for overhead lights (working ok) and the other switch for new with cable chased out into ceiling void.

If I connect this new cable into a junction box on lighting ring will this work? I have two cables running into kitchen ceiling rose, will iether one be of use to feed the JB? If not what do I need to do to get it working?

Sponsored Links
lighting is not run in a ring, its radial, and i would be inclined to take a cable from the rose, not a jb.

have a look in fro refernce to see how it is connected

Thanks for the reply breezer.

I have the new cable down to the ceiling rose and have connected the live to live and nuetral to neutral. However when I flick the switch (iether the one intended for the ceiling lights or the new under cabinet lights ) the ceiling lights come on in both cases but no under cabinet lights.

Obviously something is amiss but what?

Any help please.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I keep getting a short circuit on the new lights.

The ceiling lights are working ok but when I switch the under unit lights on, it trips out. As far as I can see the connections all seem ok.

What could it be?

Thanks for your advice.

DIYKIWI said:
Unfortunately I keep getting a short circuit on the new lights.

Disconnect the cables that are shorting the circuit and connect them up correctly or find the damaged cable.

DIYKIWI said:
The ceiling lights are working ok but when I switch the under unit lights on, it trips out.

You either have a short to earth, a short to neutral or damaged cables

DIYKIWI said:
As far as I can see the connections all seem ok.

If the connections are ok then it must be a damaged cable

DIYKIWI said:
What could it be?

see above

DIYKIWI said:
Thanks for your advice.

No problem :D

as i said see for refernce, if they do not work, that means you have not followed the instructions correctly.

damaged cable is possible, but unlikely

I take it all back, I've now realised that Part P is a good thing :eek:

It sounds like you have wired the switch so it is connecting LIVE to NEUTRAL when you switch it on... hence the tripping.

The wiring of a ceiling rose is an elegant and simple piece of design. What I would suggest you do is take the cover off a rose that you know is wired correctly, and just try to figure out what all the cables do. Spend maybe 10 minutes with a mains-tester screwdriver (boy am I going to get told off!), and see what wires make it glow when you switch on and when you switch off. It's an easy task, and once you realise what everythnig does, you will go "Ohhhh!!! So THAT'S how it works!".

Then, and only then, when you understand how to wire a ceiling rose, can you figure out how to wire in your undercabinet lights.

Personally, I would say that a junction box is the better way to wire in such lights, as a ceiling rose really isn't practical.

Here is a hint: you will be using all four terminals in a four terminal junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back