Under Unit Kitchen Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electricians who installed my new kitchen have left the job without connecting the three under unit lights. I was left with dangling flat grey lighting cable (unsure of spec). They are daisy chained to each of three units - two units with two cables the last with just one. Controlled from a three way switch that also switches ceiling and closet lights.

These cables are cumbersome for connecting to the light units especially when there are two. I intend to fit a small enclosed connection box under the units and use more flexible cable to connect with the lights. Is this Kosher?

Sponsored Links
You just have twin and earth hanging out of the walls? No accessory boxes? Yuck.

Get the kitchen fitters electrician (LMFAO) back, the job aint finished.

Did they do any other electrical work? Did they give you a certificate for it?

If would be illegal for you to touch this wiring, without first notifying the local authoritys building control dept and paying their fee for inspection.

Did you ask them to fit under-cupboard lighting? If so they might have fitted the cables automatically depending on their normal work. This is the arrangement in my mate's house - he has 2 black junction boxes under the cupboards and a light switch on the wall which that does nothing. The house was built like that.

How are the cables terminated? If anything other than an insulated junction box secured to the fabric of the kitchen then I'd ask them back, lights requested or not.

Yes they completely rewired the Kitchen with circuits for lights, cooker and sockets. Installed a new supply box and earth. Everything is good and certificate provided.

The job part of the kitchen installation was "finished" days before Christmas and the comapny has since ceased trading. It seems a straight forward job to me as a retired engineer with 25 years experience. Consdering the rest of the circuits in the house which more than 150 years old it seems rather silly to worry about this particulatr issue.

Sponsored Links
Ho Ho the house had gas lights before lead sheathed electric. Nearly all the lead sheathing and gas pipes have been removed. The house wiring probably dates from the 50s.

I'm waiting to win the lottery before having the whole house rewired - the pension doesn't stretch that far!!! If I burn so be it.

Did you ask them to fit under-cupboard lighting?

Yes but not that simple there were three contractors in the line - Kitchen - Installation - and electrical. Somewhere along the line the message was scrambled. It is all wired up from a three ganged wall switch.

So I have tails under three wall units emerging from the plaster. I will connect these tails to junction boxes and from the boxes connect the lights.

Not a question of bad workmanship they did a good job with some unchareged extras just a genuine mistake in the pre Christmas/Floods chaos in this part of the world.

Thanks that is just what I am about to do. Switching off the supply first and checking with an avometer in case anyone thought I wouldnt.

If possible, have someone else switch off, on, and off again while you hold the meter probes in position. This verifies that the "off" is really working, and not that it didn't actually go off but your meter failed at precisely the wrong moment.

Remember also that if you don't disconnect the circuit neutral in the CU, shorting N to E will trip the RCD even with the MCB off.

True but I always check the meter on a known voltage source first. You can misplace the range switch or not have the probes fully connected. All those years in R&D leave some residue.... :LOL:

I remembered that I hadn't tested first when I had my meter inadvertently set to DC instead of AC.

I found out when j'ai trouvé mes couilles sur mon nez. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back