underbath lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to install under bath striplighting and what is safe to use please? We have wanted an illuminated bath panel for ages but don't know how to do it.

Sponsored Links
I should just add that we are not attempting to fit this ourselves. We just have to provide the parts and it will be fitted by a pro. ;)

depends what you want it to look like, try a torch first to see if you like it.

I am assuming that you intend to light the actual bath?

Hi,

No we want to illuminate an acrylic panel on the side of the bath (like a shop sign). We have seen a photo of a panel (shown below hopefully!) that is mostly opaque white but has blue inserts in it so that when the lightunder the bath is switched on (presumably with the main light) the blue insert glow like neon. I guess its some sort of striplight but don't know which ones are safe to use in bathrooms.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
i see. its either leds or a flourescent light. i would say florescent and seeing as its in a show bath i bet its an ordainairy one

Not quite the same thing, but B&Q sell some smallish circular LED fittings that can push through holes in the side of the bath. They come with long leads, and plug into a single block supplied by a transformer so are safe for use in the bathroom (with the transformer plugged in outside the bathroom). I have them in the side of my bath and think they look ok :)

They do them in white or blue and they might be a cheaper DIY alternative to getting a professional installation done.

Ironically, if the side of the bath is fixed such that a tool is required to remove it, then the zones do not apply and you *could* fit a normal fluorescent - though I wouldn't recommend it.

You might find something suitable designed for pond lighting. Is there a handy cupboard adjacent to the bathroom where you could locate any transformer or connection to the mains?

b & Q also have bigger ones that change colour but the white plastic falls out of them and they are not that good in daylight, i gave mine to a friend for the other side of his stairs

Thanks for that. The plumbworld site looks promising. I didnt realise you could buy these ready made. The one in the photo is actually a domestic setting not a showhouse as we have been to the manufacturers and they told us how it was made. Unfortunately they only make the acrylic panels, not the lights. I think the suggestion of pond lighting is a good idea and will have a look around for a underwater striplight.

Cheers.

i don't know if they are branches outside london lighting wholesalers mr resister done a job with lots of fancy lighting they had a wide range

I think the suggestion of pond lighting is a good idea and will have a look around for a underwater striplight.

i will save you some time, no such thing exists.

pond lights are all spot / flood lights only. there is one light that is long and has several lamps but you dont want to know how much that is.

your best option is the led lights plugged in outside of the bathroom, or supply in loft if you are able.

leds never need changing and as mentioned you can get some good effects with them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back