Underboard on standard wooden floorboard floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a stupid question, but here goes:

I've taken an old carpet up to sand and varnish the bare floorboards beneath. They are straight edged boards with the normal gaps in-between, and I'd expected to have to draught proof these gaps. However when scraping the build up of crud from between the gaps there appears to be some kind of, I presume sheet underboard, underneath. There are a few proper gaps (maybe 5% of the floor) that go all the way through where some boards have been lifted at some point for services.

I had always thought floorboards were just laid on the joists, hence the drafty gaps. Is it normal to have thin layer of underboard between the joist and the floorboards? Does this mean there no real need to draught proofing the gaps?

This is a ground floor flat, which is part of a larger Edwardian house, it's possible it is an extension but must be older than circa 1980.

Hope it's not a daft question! Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back