Undercabinet Kitchen Lighting Low Voltage Driver Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
just a quick one..my sparky has fitted some undercabinet kitchen lighting and left the low voltage driver on the cabinet. He used a connector block covered in insulation tape to connect the driver to the lighting ring which is also on the cabinet...Cause its going to be rented out and people put all kinds of stuff on the cabinet I want to tidy it up abit.

The undercabinet lighting is on the lighting ring for the kitchen.
I have sensio low voltage LED downlights....in the instructions it says as follows:
Plug the driver into the mains socket. If the driver mains lead has not been fitted with a plug, connect it to a fixed spur incorporating a 3 amp fused plug.
So as I stated the sparky just connected the driver to the mains lighting circuit via a taped up connector block. I have cut out the plasterboard and fitted the boxes and will now connect the driver to the mains lighting wire using this MK13A DP switched fused connector unit with flex outlet like this one:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-dp-switched-fused-connection-unit-with-flex-outlet-white/13479
I will replace the 13amp fuse with a 3amp fuse...does this sound ok ?
cheers,
geezer

Sponsored Links
that would still leave some of the main lighting ring exposed, rather leave behind a switch of some sort

What you propose to do with regards to down fusing via a DP FCU, sounds good. I personally would have got the electrician back and handed them the MI and told the electrician, that they have not been followed.

Sponsored Links
whats the correct procedure for this....I am guessing a chocbox is fine but it doesnt look professional and is the easy thing to do....cause i am renting the place out i rather all main wiring be behind the wall hence me connecting the driver via a DP FCU...Even the instructions said 'Plug the driver into the mains socket. If the driver mains lead has not been fitted with a plug, connect it to a fixed spur incorporating a 3 amp fused plug'
Whats a MI by the way?

The correct way to do this is to follow the MI (manufacturers instructions)
When joints are made in the cable, they should be terminated within enclosures that require a tool to open them. The sheath of the cable should enter the enclosure, so no conductor core colours should be visible externally.
Any joints made must be easily accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, unless they are considered maintenance free.

Any joints made must be easily accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, unless they are considered maintenance free.
You appear to have slipped an extra word into that statement, the effect of which would be to make the meaning even more open to discussion than it is without it :)

Kind Regards, John

You appear to have slipped an extra word into that statement, the effect of which would be to make the meaning even more open to discussion than it is without it :)
I have come across situation where joints have been made in positions were they would be considered accessible, but with great difficulty and risk. So I choose the word easily in regards to that.

I have come across situation where joints have been made in positions were they would be considered accessible, but with great difficulty and risk. So I choose the word easily in regards to that.
Yes, I understand that - but (given that the word doesn't exist in the regs) it just increases the extent to which one can discuss/debate what counts as 'accessible'. We all have our own ideas about that. For example, I would not even dream of suggesting that something under floorboards was 'accessible' in the sense that we are talking about, but I've seen people suggesting that they might consider that it was!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back