Undercabinet Lights or what?

Coming out of the wall like that is a bit of a bodge, as is leaving them in the state they are. I would determin that they are hard live, or if they are switched, and make sure they are all terminated in a suitable junction box, and then if your looking to replace the lights, replace them with ones with an internal switch.

You want to make is safe
You want to know whats on the other end of them
You sound like you then want new lights

Three separate things working to the final goal, but proberbly it would not be stupid to get a electrian in for an hour or so to work out where he thinks they come from, how they need terminating to make the safe, and if they can be reused to add new lights back in.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I think that sums it up pretty well.

Sponsored Links
And am I the only one thinking "what a b***ard cutting the earth back" in that second photo ?

Hi Simon - if you don't mind me asking, what's the point of doing that? I've had a really close look at them now - they're in deep shadow under the cabinet and pelmet so quite hard to see. I've put a torch on it and I can see the end of the earth just inside the plastic sheath. And why only 2 of the 4 like this?

Hi Simon - if you don't mind me asking, what's the point of doing that?
Laziness? Ignorance? Not interested in doing a good job? A mix of some or all of those?

You should check behind light switches and inside light fittings.

Sponsored Links
And am I the only one thinking "what a b***ard cutting the earth back" in that second photo ?
Hi Simon - if you don't mind me asking, what's the point of doing that?
My best guess, someone with an attitude that "this is what's being done, it won't ever change to something where the earth is needed".

I've seen it done a few times - it's "not needed" so just clip it back and it's gone and out of the way. Trouble is, if you then want to put something in that needs an earth, you have to strip the cable back to get at the earth and there's very little spare length there - you'd almost certainly have to put a junction box in and extend the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back