Undercoating and painting over unsightly damp stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to ask about covering previous damp patches with paint. We have a couple of patches that were once prone to condensation and where new plaster is not drying properly in our new kitchen – they are not wet, just more unsightly due to condensation point. I need to point out that the unsightly patches seem to be not a result from lots of penetrating damp.

I have read about Polycell damp sealer paint and it seems that this can be applied to dampish areas before applying an emulsion layer – any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Then I have read stories that some emulsion paints can show up the stained areas quite badly but others don't and it seems it comes down to the type of paint (silk, matt), whether it is water-based or oil-based and the manufacturer (we will go for quality, not cheap). it is also for use in the kitchen so obviously there will be steam and moisture in the air.

Can anyone advise on what sort of pain and/or undercoat we will need. one further minor problem is that my wife is quite particular about the colour of the finished walls but I guess we could get colours mixed anyway.

Sponsored Links
MrH,

I did post earlier yet it has been removed, and I can fully understand why, if you need a bit more info you know where I am. ;)

Anyway you are of course correct, no you can't.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back