Underfloor heating control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly hello . Hate to start DIYnot forum life with a question,but needs must.

Can any plumbers help me with a problem I have .I have recently installed an underfloor heating system to the ground floor extension of my house (approx 45m2) The manufacturers instructions state that it can be added to the radiator circuit flow and return,but given the long heat up times & requirement for night time set back etc. I can see this being A, expensive to run & B, uncontrollable. Additionally this seems to be drawing the flow from the existing ground floor rads.
What I need to know is ,can I run my ufh supply pipe work directly to the primaries on the boiler,and add a motorised valve on the flow, controlled by a programmable room stat.(honeywell cm67),and fire the boiler independently of the Honeywell Y plan thats installed. Sort of a Y plan + system.

I suppose what it boils down to is can you add an S plan ,to an existing Y plan.?

Cheers guys .

Sponsored Links
You can do whatever you want, zoning wise.

What you suggest is the best way of approaching the solution.

It might be protracted designing it here but it is something most heating professionals do regularly. It is easiest changing the three port and zoning everyting off two ports, having fitted a bypass upstream to protect boiler/pump.

Fitted 2 ufh circuits recently, i used 2 port zone valves to control ch, dhw,and ufh circuit, i also used a seperate timer/stat for ufh circuit, and as simond said i fitted a bypass , you could even fit a seperate pump for the ufh as well ,the ones i fitted connected to a manifold with their own pump .

Sponsored Links
Fitted 2 ufh circuits recently, i used 2 port zone valves to control ch, dhw,and ufh circuit, i also used a seperate timer/stat for ufh circuit, and as simond said i fitted a bypass , you could even fit a seperate pump for the ufh as well ,the ones i fitted connected to a manifold with their own pump .

Thats exactly what I`ve fitted , nice tidy package,built in Grundfos pump,flow and return temp. gauges, flow/mix valve ,over temp cut out etc. I`ll post up a pic tommorrow. I fitted a honeywell auto bypass valve between the flow and return.It`s just this mixing of the two types of control I`m unsure about.
I`ve hooked it up to the f&r tails from the old f&r and paralleled the pump supply in just to try and get a bit of heat in the room.. I need to sort it out this week as the other half wants it all done for christmas :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back