Underfloor Heating - Existing Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I get shot down this isn't your normal "can I lay ufh on an old uninsulated slab" question.

I own a solid wall 1920s-1930s house. It's built into sloping land and the entire footprint of the downstairs is above an approximately 2m deep cellar/basement. The ground floor is a concrete construction and as such I have access to the entire underside of it. It looks like the shuttering was corrugated steel sheets so as you can probably imagine the underside isn't very flat.

The plan is to make the basement a livable space so the build-up of the ufh isn't a problem, we'll be digging down anyway. External wall insulation will also be installed.

The question I have is, would it be possible to install ufh from below with the above in consideration?

Sponsored Links
If you intend installing underfloor heating for the ground floor from below the real question is how thick is the existing floor?
The optimum thickness of screed above underfloor pipes is 65mm.

You can always retrofit the current slab. It can be channeled to take the pipework and then capped with 6mm cement board.

I wouldn't think placing UFH under a corrugated suspended slab would work. If it's a load bearing floor slab (sitting on external founds amd internal piers) then it's probably going to be at least a couple of hundred mm thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back