Underfloor Heating Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we are in the process of extending our L shape kitchen dinner into a square room. Currently the room has radiators x2. The floor construction is currently block and beam and is tiled. Now the plan is when the extension is done is to have a wet underfloor heating installed. My Question is once completed the two block and beam floors will be at different levels. and will need to be insulated before the underfloor heating is laid, the floor leve on existing will have to come down and possibly be insulated before underfloor heating is installed do I break up the old screed to get it to the same level before the insulating and install?
Hope this makes sense and someone under stands what I'm talking about

Sponsored Links
Who's doing the work, as the builders should understand the issues, and build the extension accordingly. If the extension is going to be block and beam, then the extension will go above it, then the UFH pipes, then the screed, and you need to dig the existing kitchen floor down, concrete it to the height of the block and beam,and then work the whole floor in one go.

Are you aware of the issues you'll get adding the UFH to the existing system.

So we are in the process of extending our L shape kitchen dinner into a square room. Currently the room has radiators x2. The floor construction is currently block and beam and is tiled. Now the plan is when the extension is done is to have a wet underfloor heating installed. My Question is once completed the two block and beam floors will be at different levels. and will need to be insulated before the underfloor heating is laid, the floor leve on existing will have to come down and possibly be insulated before underfloor heating is installed do I break up the old screed to get it to the same level before the insulating and install?
Hope this makes sense and someone under stands what I'm talking about

If you remove existing floor, then you will need to include a minimum amount of insulation as such an improvement falls under building regs.

If you remove the existing screed and any existing insulation, you will then get down to the existing concrete beams. You need to be sure you have enough room for insulation + underfloor heating pipes + screed + floor finish.

Underfloor heating is only efficient if there is sufficient insulation below.

To find out the floor make up, you coukd take out a few bricks / blocks from an outside wall where the extendion is going.

Be careful when removing existing screed there could be gas pipes, water pipes, electrics......

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback guys when my builder comes round next I will ask him to assist in finding out the make up of the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back