Underfloor Heating Help -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have electric underfloor heating installed under a timber floor. Today I noticed that the room wasn't as warm as expected so I took off my shoes and walked around to make sure that the floor felt warm.

It did. However, when I went to look at the thermostat the little power light was off. Turning the temperature up or down did nothing to bring back the power light.

The spur below was on and its light was on.

I turned off the power at the mains, hoping it might work, but nothing.

Any ideas? It'll get really cold if the thermostat isn't telling the floor to come on! I think now that the heat I felt is residual...

Sponsored Links
In the one I fitted it was a special thermostat with a sensor that went in the floor as well as measuring room temperature. It has failed a few times and on the last time we gave up and now is not used.

Unlike the central heating thermostat normally used these have a lot of power going through them so don't last as long. There are specials you can't use one for normal central heating.

The UFH could have failed when it had been on for some period thus the floor felt warm. It could be:-

- Faulty element (ie open circuit)
- Faulty stat/controller (possible relay burn out)
- Loose connection/broken wire

If you own a multimeter and can work safely and competantly you should be able to find the problem fairly easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back