Underfloor heating hot spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a tiled floor about a year ago with an electric underfloor heating mat. Base is a concrete floor with 10mm tile board insulation, deep adhesive bed on the heating mat, with a ceramic floor. I had an electrician come and complete the heating mat test and wire the thermostat to the heating mat and install a fused spur. System worked fine up until about 3 weeks ago when a hot spot developed around a 2 sq. mt. area of floor - the rest of the floor being cool - with hot spot temperature rising to a point where you cannot leave your hand on the floor. Got back in touch with the manufacturer and they suggest an installation error - either crossed wires or an air void - but I installed it myself along with 4 other heated floors and know that all was done to specification. Any ideas as to cause? Alternatively, what tests could be done to narrow down the possible causes? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back