underfloor heating only works in some rooms

Sponsored Links
hi, so over the weekend i cranked the flow meter on one of the "cold" room's loops right up and the mixer was set to 50, the return side of this loop was nice and hot although i was unable to take a readinf of the temp. even so , the floor and the room temperature didnt move at all. if the water is returning hot why would the floor stay stone cold?

Sponsored Links
Did you leave it on for at least two hours to let it have a chance to warm the floor?

We don't know what is under your floor or where the loop actually goes!

You could turn off all the other loops and run it for four hours and see what gets warm.

An IR camera is useful or at least an IR thermometer .

Tony

i have left it running all day and closed down all the loops..i also had a thermoter taped to the floor so i know that it doesnt get any warmer...i know what loop is what and i know it has previosly worked. i have had all loops open as well . i have this problem of the loops staying cold in 3 of the 7 loops in my system.

i have left it running all day and closed down all the loops..i also had a thermoter taped to the floor so i know that it doesnt get any warmer...i know what loop is what and i know it has previosly worked.

If you close all the loops then don't expect anything to get hot.

You need to close all the loops which heat rooms and just leave the cold room loops open.

Tony

sorry , i miss worded that. i have had the system running where only the one loop was open. returns hot, floor still stone cold

Well that appears to be impossible IF the loop is correctly configured!

Based on you saying that it used to work, something is VERY odd!

Tony

as an update to the above, had someone in, pump seems fine, supply water was really hot, 80 degrees? even tho the flow gauge on the loop was turned up to 4 lt/min , the return water too much longer than usual to come back hot. even with the blending valve right up it was only returning 50 degrees. and even running the sysem like this for 3 hours, the floor still didnt heat up at all, any ideas?
seems to me like there must be something restricitng the flow around the loop, although surely the flow gauge would indicate this?

Last edited:
could it be air in the loops? although i have tried to purge the system twice now using mains water from a hose via the filling loop/drain on the manifold.

No.

If you have a dt of about 6 on the return to the offending loop then you have flow . If there is no heat transfer into the room then there is a structural problem with the floor in your not managing your expectations properly .

well this is it, at supposedly 4 ltr/min, the return was 50. and it takes much longert than it usually did to come back hot.

and why would this problem manidfiest in certain loops and not all? some rooms are 2 loops

I'm afraid I think the problem started with the installation,it's not been put in very well wand you have a problem with the loop.Bob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back