underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it really necesarry to lay self levelling compound on top of your heat matt before laying your tiles on your floor?
can i just put tile adhesive straight down?

Sponsored Links
I should imagine that he self levelling floor compound would allow for a better thermal connection with the finished floor

Sponsored Links
I disagree, if the concrete subfloor is correctly insulated then the underfloor heating will be more effective without the compound. aslong as you use enough adhesive to cover the elemant what wld be the problem?

let us both imagine that we are a heat particle/wave. we want to go to somewhere colder, thats just indesputable physics. the idea of having an insulated subfloor is that heat wants to go upwards into your toes. If you are creating unnessecary air gaps in the void between finnished floor and element then you may be encouraged to go downwards.

when air is warmed, its taked longer to do it, but needs longer to to release it than solids, so why not have a better thermal conductor above the element.

Extract from WarmUp's Installation manual:

Check that the heating wire is fully taped and secure.
Tile as normal, taking care not to damage or dislodge
the heating wire with the trowel or with the tiles.
If tiling with mosaic slate or similar tiles, it is advisable
to cover the heating wire with latex self-levelling
compound before tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back