Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having underfloor heating installed, I have a plan to use a double pole light switch so one side switches the light as normal and the other side switches the underfloor heating, (fed from its own supply) as shown in the diagram, my only concern is that without an external load I might kill the internal resistor, see attached diagram, can anyone see any issues? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EB604B82-558C-495E-9498-E0EBFD8E18DC.jpeg
    EB604B82-558C-495E-9498-E0EBFD8E18DC.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
You mean a two-gang light switch. Two pole means a single switch that switches the Line(live) and Neutral.

Surely you should put your switch in the supply to the whole UFH system.

1 button 2 separate switches on the rear, I don’t want to switch the actual supply to the UFH as it has various other settings which it won’t remember

Ok. That would be a double pole switch.

I don't know how that would affect the internals of the device.

It does seem odd that you only want the UFH to come on when the light is on.

Sponsored Links
It’s for the bathroom so I want the fan and underfloor heating on only when I am using it, I’ve seen it done in hotels where it comes in with the light,

The UFH will take quite a while to get warm so you'll probably be finished in the bathroom by then.

Someone else might have some more detailed knowledge.

The under floor heating in my mothers house took around ½ hour before you could feel any warmth, to reach full temperature was around 2 hours, it was actually a failure, idea was to dry the wet room floor, but it took so long to warm up she left the wet room long before floor had dried.

The internal resistor is to reduce the hysteresis as there is a tendency for the heating to over shoot, and since in parallel with heating mat, makes no difference if mat connected or not.

Thanks Eric, so my switch should have no detrimental effect, if I find it takes to long to heat up I’ll have to take the switch out, the system is programmable but I don’t generally plan that far in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back