Underfloor topup heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom currently has a small radiator (for about 1900BTU) plus a simple chromed towel rail that I've no idea of the rating of, but given that it's basically 3.6m of 25mm chromed pipe probably isn't much. We're looking to replace this with a single large towel radiator rated at 2143BTU as part of a complete redo of the room.

Where's the electrical bit? Well I'd hate to find we were underheated after installing all this, and I do like the feel of a warm tiled floor, so am considering putting in a modest electric underfloor heating system. The room is small, 2.7m2 plus the size of the bath, so I'm looking at a system around 500W, running on a timer for morning showers and kids bathtime. Will this:

a) make a noticeable difference?
b) suck me in with an apparently easy install that ends up with me cursing the day I considered it?
c) require a thermostat, given that it will never be overheating the room, or just a simple timer (if such things are available)

I'm planning on having an electrician install a spur (I could do the wiring, but want someone experienced to locate it properly), but do the rest myself. Previous experience is installing lights in the loft and replacing sockets.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
It will be a warm foot thing, These are not meant to be the main source of heat. A 10m² heat mat will probably throw out 200Watts - about the same a 4 halogen lamps!

The mat itself is reasonably easy to install.

They come with a controller that has the timer and temperature is controlled by a probe that gets set in the floor itself. That way you set the temp of the floor, not the ambient temp in the room.

Main Electrical things:

1. This has the potential of mixing water and electricity so it is notifiable work. If you know what you are doing you could notify your local authority and do it yourself but i would strongly recommend u use a resigstered, competent spark.
2. This must be protected by an RCD
3. The electrical cables must be protected by an earthed shield.
4. This, and other stuff must be supplementary bonded.

I do agree that it is a warm foot thing i.e. not to be used as a main heat source, but 200W for 10 sq.m! ...... most electric mats give out 50W per sq.m easily.

Sponsored Links
A Stelrad chrome ladder towel warmer (straight) 1800 x 500 will give 2285 btu's, curved will give 2457 btu's.

if you go to 600 wide then heat outputs increase to 2703 & 2906 respectivley.

More heat output could be acheived by fitting white towel rails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back