Underfloor ventilation for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In order to ensure through air flow from the front of the house to the back the guy drawing the plans for a ground floor side return extension has suggested excavating a 700mm void under the entire new floor area, laying a concrete base with joists running above the void. The builders have suggested a solid screed onto the ground with ventiation pipes running through. The latter is a lot cheaper as does not involve excavating the entire floor area.

Thoughts on why either may be more appropriate would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So what you're being offered is solid floor vs suspended floor?

For me it comes down to what type of floor you like- ventilating existing space will work via (min 110 diameter) pipes under your slab or by through ventilation from the new suspended floor.

Either way I'd put a couple of extra air bricks/holes in the existing walls first to increase airflow.

I prefer suspended timber floors to solid concrete- gives you more freedom to change or add things in the room later. But that's just me- from a construction point of view solid concrete screed is quicker and cheaper to put down (no real carpentry skills involved and fewer sheets of insulation to cut so less waste there), if you're going to carpet the job and have got all power and pipework taken care of then crack on. either scheme will work (though the screed option might get more expensive if the ground it is going onto is soft).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back