Underground cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a workshop in the back garden and need to run 2 cables outside

First is electric so I'm thinking i need to buy some armoured cable, second is a ethernet cable to hardwire my network into the workshop. Wifi is not an option

Is there some sort of trunking that I can use that will keep the water out of it and keep the ethernet cable safe?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Put the ethernet cable in some standard solvent weld waste pipe and bury it 450mm deep next to the electric cable (but not too close, I can't remember the recommended distance). Over the trench put some electrical warning tape.

For the electricity supply, SWA is the easiest option for burial. Before you buy any you need to work out the correct size required, both to safely carry the current required and also to keep voltage drop to a minimum (a problem for motors).

How far from the house consumer unit will the workshop be? What is the maximum demand for the workshop?

If you use a well known search engine and type in "Ethernet trunking" it should come up with lots of sites where you can buy the stuff.

I just tried and got lots of places.

I would use external duct grade cat5e - Normal cat5e is not designed to be pulled through a duct, and is not designed to be constantly submerged in water......and your duct WILL become water logged.

Do the job correctly, and use the correct cable for the job ;)

If I were you, I would run a couple lengths of the cat5e, using one for telephone. The other can be connected to a switch to allow multiple PC's / printers.

Sponsored Links
Right the workshop is up and I've got someone coming to wire in the electrics next week but I can't bury it in the ground for a few weeks due to the garden not being dug up till then.

Would it be possable to run a cable from my loft straight into the workshop as a temp solution so I can still work from it? or is that too dodgy?

Could leave enough slack for when it is buried looped up behind the shed and install a cantenery wire to hang it from at the moment, as long as the electrician leaves instructions on how to burry it (half a metre deep, warning tape on top), and notes the situation on the EIC I can't see a problem with it (though I'm willing to be corrected on that point)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back