underground drain, broken pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a blocked toilet which led to finding a broken section of pipe.
This is a two foot, 5 inch (glazed?) pot pipe damaged by pressure from a concrete footpath laid inches above the pipe and an additional two feet of flag. The pressure from these two has forced the pipe down fracturing the female part of the connection. There is no way I can replace the pot with a similar pipe.
Do I replace this with plastic? I understand there is a rubber connector for connecting the male pot to plastic but there was no advice on fitting the plastic into the female connection of the next pot pipe.
Do I cement it in? Or is there another fitting for plastic to female pot?

My drain is to a septic tank.

Sponsored Links
I recall a problem similar to yours. A builder was replacing our old cast iron soil stack with a plastic one. He dug down to the horizontal run, cut the socket right off a pipe section and used the rubber connector on the remaining straight length.

Thanks Felix. It developed; as these problems do.
On further examination I discovered every connection but one had a cracked or broken female end, about seven in total, between the house and the manhole. I replaced the lot with plastic and used a rubber sleeve to connect to the pot at the house end.
I built walls to support the flags over the pipes. Pity the builder didn't think of that.
One of those diy jobs that are not much fun.

Bet your septic tank is knackered as well :oops: Most are. Talk about primitive in the 21st C.

Sponsored Links
a cured in place pipe can be installed to restore the entire length to a structurally sound and watertight condition. :D

yeah mate! just posted the option so that anyone looking with the same prob would be aware that there is an alternative to excavation in some cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back