underground ducting and building entry for cables - neat joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We have a couple of outbuildings to which we're fitting new electrical supplies. There's a few different cables being used so we're using ducting to give us flexibility and we're burying it this weekend when the digger driver arrives.

We're using 50/63mm Ridgicoil from Polypipe. I'm fitting the ducting with the digger driver ready for the electrician to arrive.

My question is how we transition from the underground ducting to an entrypoint through the wall of the building. Is there a neat solution? I'm guessing that the cable exits the ducting at the base of the building and then is fastened to the base of the wall before going in through a hole.

I'd love it if there was some sort of waterproof gland that kept everything covered but I can't find anything like that.

I have seen that utility companies use a kind of half round, typically brown or black, plastic cover where cables exit the ground and that these have a 'hood' over the entrypoint through the wall but I can't find them anywhere on google - I can't work out what they're called.

Anyone any advice on these - or if there's a better solution? I would have thought that the manufacturer would have a proprietary solution but I can't find anything online.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would say normally the duct finishes inside the building -as its designed to be entirely underground

or you could come up the wall and go through an angled core drill cut to the inside

if you dont want to do that then maybe terminate it on the underside of an adaptable box

thanks both.

Closest thing I've seen is this, which seems to be for telecoms but would allow a transition from a flexible round underground duct to a wall plate/brick buster.

post-16295-0-57175100-1428601899.jpg

Sponsored Links
Got it!!!

Sod’s Law. Looking for anges and I find it just after I posted.

Anyway the kit is commonly called an elephants foot or a connector bend. The image above is a BY/Openreach type connector bend no.4 which is easily available.

All the different types are available on the millsLtd.co.uk website including

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back